SAN PEDRO, CA: Silva Construction, (https://www.silvaconstruction.com) a construction company, is offering to tips to homeowners who are interested in the possibility of a second story addition onto a one-story home.
Dave Silva, co-owner of Silva Construction, stated “Adding a second story or even a third story addition onto a one-story home can capture new views, which will increase the value along with maximizing square footage on a small lot. This type of project could require moving out of the house for the duration of the renovation but you’ll move back into a home that is twice the size. Here are some things to consider.”
- “Making it all work together. A good design will make your new second story look like it fits with the rest of the house.
- “Structural requirements. A second story will weigh much more than your old roof, so engineers will have to calculate how much weight the first-floor walls and the home’s foundation can carry and how to reinforce it to carry the new weight.
- “Stairs. A new staircase usually takes a bite out of your first-floor rooms. It takes good planning and design choice to minimize the bite.
- “Mechanical. When you increase the size of your home, you will have to re-evaluate the likely upgrade your furnace, water heater and electrical panel.
- “Chimneys. When you have a masonry chimney and add a story to your home, you will have to eliminate the chimney or build it up to above the new roof level.
- “Finishes. Often the style of your doors, trim, wall finish, and flooring, will dictate the finishes in the new story. But adding a new story allows you to change those things if you want.
- “Insulation. When engineering plans requires old siding to be removed from the exterior, it also gives you the chance to install new insulation, which is important because many older homes have poor insulation. And upgrading will give you better energy efficiency.”
The team at Silva Construction has done a number of second story addition projects, and can guide homeowners through the process.
David Clarke and Dave Silva are owners of Silva Construction, Inc., located in San Pedro, CA. The company has over 40 years of experience in remodeling construction, and serves Southern California’s South Bay area, including Westchester, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, San Pedro, Hermosa Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, Harbor City, Lomita, Torrance, and other select areas. Their blog can be seen at https://www.silvaconstruction.com/blog3/ and their website can be seen at https://www.silvaconstruction.com. They can be reached at 310-831-6310.